Monday, June 11, 2007

My Mother's Death

A SPECIAL SHARING: Occasionally, when something special comes along, I deviate from my regular question/answer format to offer something a little different. This is one of those times.

The story you are about to read came from a nurse named Nancy, and it is about her mother's death. I am carrying it exactly as she mailed it to me. I know you will be touched as I was. Pay close attention to her final comments about sharing. She is talking to all of us, and I hope everyone listens.

MY MOTHER'S DEATH

You have been such a help to me in the past. You have so many of the aftereffects of NDEs nailed.

My mother died recently at the age of 93. She remained independent and living in her own home until the end. She had mild dementia, but could function well with it. I live about 70 miles from her so we talked 2 or 3 times a day. Her "my way or the highway" attitude probably slightly hastened her death, but also sustained her. She spent her last week in a hospital surrounded by her children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. Her mind was clearer than it had been in many months and she would refuse pain meds so that she "wouldn't miss anything." I came and relieved my sister at my mother's bedside. I felt like this would be the night that she would die.

As a nurse, I was aware of the implication of her failing vital signs. I spent the evening holding her hand and telling her how much I loved her. I lay down on a cot in her room. Our feet faced each other and I would sit up often to make sure that she was breathing. Her room door was closed, the heat/air was off, and the windows were closed. I had closed my eyes briefly when I felt a cool breeze go across my face and out the closed window.

I jumped up and watched my mother take her last breath. Her expression never changed as she said goodbye. She knew how much I hated to see her leave, and she wanted to give me a gift. She never wanted to hear about my NDE following heart surgery, but when she experienced it for herself she realized how glorious it is.

I have shared this story with many people because that is what we are supposed to do. When God blesses us with good news, I believe that he expects us to share this news with as many people as possible.

Nancy

P.S. To the world, you may be one person, but to one person, you may be the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home